Decision Support Modelling team provides statistical and modelling services to a number of clients around the company, helping them to plan studies, understand their data and develop new approaches to looking at it. We work across a wide range of areas, from understanding the many impacts of weather on our infrastructure and customer demand to looking at new ways of handling and mining the large quantities of data that smart metering and SCADA systems are now providing.
Wastewater Networks team focuses on real-time controls of catchments, Sustainable Urban Drainage, unique solutions for blockage & infiltration, high risk asset condition assessment and the removal/recovery of fats, oils & grease
Both teams are located with most of the Innovation group at the Reading Sewage Treatment Works offices, where other students are working with colleagues on both “clean” and “dirty” research projects. A uniquely stimulating environment!
Quote from a previous placement student:
“I have enjoyed my time here so far. The Innovation team encourages you to explore and solve problems both by using standard methods and by thinking outside the box. The work is varied and interesting and I have learned a lot. I would recommend a placement in Thames Water Innovation.”
Education & Knowledge
* Undergraduates looking to take a year out in industry as part of their degree course
* Should be studying Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or similar
* Should be working towards 2:1 or above
* Open to Masters students looking for a ‘Year in Industry’ opportunity
* Good with Excel and familiar with database and analytical skills
* Keen to develop and share knowledge in Data Mining, GIS, distributed data processing and statistical modelling
* Knowledge or experience of a range of analytical, or statistical techniques (Desirable)
* Participation in the Duke of Edinburgh Award or similar (Desirable)
* Accurate and task-focused
* Excellent problem-solving skills
* Excellent communications skills
* Relationship building skills
* Evidence of working to deadlines and within time-frames specified
* Attention to Detail
* Desire to learn
* Questioning outlook
Type: 12 Month Student/Industrial Placement
Salary: £18,500pa pro-rata (53 weeks)
Holiday Entitlement: 26 days plus bank holidays
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Start Date: Summer 2018
No of vacancies: 3
Closing Date of Applications: 10th November 2017
Thames Water Utilities Limited is the UK’s largest water and wastewater services company with over 4,000 employees providing service round the clock to 15 million customers across London and the Thames Valley.
1) CV – Education Section: Please provide Degree Course, modules and grades achieved and expected grades. Maximum 2 sides of A4
2) Covering Letter – explaining why you are applying for this particular role, what you can contribute and what benefits Thames Water will gain from your participation in their placement scheme. Maximum 600 words
3) Personal Statement – listing your strengths, your achievements and sharing your career aspirations. This should be a small, bite-size representation of who you are as a professional, and what you have to offer in terms of experience and ambition. Maximum 100 words
Initial interviews may be carried out by telephone, with a follow-up 30-45 min personal interview at their Reading office, if successful. Interviews to take place around end of November/beginning of December.
A test may need to be completed on the day of the personal interview.
** We advise you to apply early