Software Placement Student
Type: 12 month Student Placement
Start Date: N/A
Closing Date of Applications: N/A
As a Placement Student role within the Software team, you will help to innovate and develop software subsystems for our Simulator Products based on leading-edge technology to drive the next generation of Spirent Communications products in the Positioning Technology Line of Business. A Senior Engineer within the SW team will act as a mentor throughout the placement.
* Take part in the assigned SW project as a permanent member of the team.
* Contribute to the software development lifecycle from its design to implementation and validation.
* Produce clear documentation and status report on the work accomplished.
* There is a very high probability that the successful applicant will be required to work with ‘classified materials’ that are subject to US restrictions and hence anyone who is not a US or UK National or who has dual nationality outside of these nations will be subject to additional checks and scrutiny over which Spirent has no control. An appreciation of UML, GPS and/or Communication Engineering would be an advantage.
* Must have completed 1st and 2nd year of Engineering degree course. 1 New College Grad/Entry level Experience: Under Graduate having completed 2nd year.
* Some experience of, or looking to work in either of the following areas:
– Desire to work in a related embedded or real-time programming environment.
– Very good knowledge of C programming, especially in developing multi-core or multithreaded software.
– Experience in programming for Real Time Operating Systems for embedded devices.
– Very good understanding of Linux based operating systems architecture and how to optimise for performance.
– Good knowledge of processor technology and its application.
– Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as part of a multi-site team.
– Good problem solving skills coupled with a strong aptitude to learn and innovate
– GPS system or receiver knowledge (desirable).