Water Treatment Team
The Water Treatment Team is running projects looking at new sources of drinking water and better ways of treating drinking water.
The team operates a number of pilot scale water treatment processes in West London and across the Thames Water region.
The roles will include many of the following elements:
* Working with recognized experts on projects of real relevance to the water industry.
* Installation and monitoring of demonstration plants on operational sites, including setting up and carrying out experiments and the development of new technology.
* Managing sampling programmes, including maintaining databases and responsibility for a sample archive.
* Compilation of literature reviews, feasibility studies and technical reports.
* Data manipulation and analysis using technical software packages.
* Involvement in technical meetings and presentations.
* Supervision of third parties carrying out key project tasks.
* Meeting and liaising with technical experts.
* Working outside throughout the whole year carrying out testing regimes.
* Supporting the team with general maintenance and administrative tasks so that you understand how a research centre is managed.
This placement offers the opportunity for the student to become a fully contributing member of the Innovation team. Placement students working with us in the past have enjoyed being part of a dynamic team. The students will be expected to manage their own time and tasks, and will be responsible for reporting progress to supervisors.
Education & Knowledge
* The roles are open to undergraduate students who are looking to carry out a year-in-industry or Professional Training Year as part of a relevant degree
* You should be studying: mechanical engineering, civil engineering, process engineering, chemical engineering, materials science, environmental science or a similar STEM subject
* Should be working towards 2:1 (minimum requirement)
* An interest in the water industry
* Knowledge of this field of work would be an advantage
* Participation in the Duke of Edinburgh Award or similar (Desirable)
* Previous relevant working experience (Desirable)
* Personal achievements relevant to this position
* High standard of oral and written communication skills (English language)
* Good numeracy skills
* Competent with Word and Excel
* High level of initiative and self-motivation
* Willingness to work some unsociable hours
* Able to work safely without direct supervision
* A sense of humour
* A full driving licence
* Problem solving skills
* Good team working skills
* Ability to work with minimum supervision to deliver to time and quality
Ref No: T003TR
Type: 12 Month Student/Industrial Placement
Salary: £18,500pa pro-rata (53 weeks)
Holiday Entitlement: 26 days plus bank holidays
Working with: Water Treatment Team
Location: Feltham, Middlesex
Start Date: Summer 2018
No of vacancies: 1
Closing Date of Applications: 10th November 2017
Thames Water Utilities Limited is the UK’s largest water and wastewater services company with over 4,000 employees providing service round the clock to 15 million customers across London and the Thames Valley.
1) CV – Education Section: Please provide Degree Course, modules and grades achieved and expected grades. Maximum 2 sides of A4
2) Covering Letter – explaining why you are applying for this particular role, what you can contribute and what benefits Thames Water will gain from your participation in their placement scheme. Maximum 600 words
3) Personal Statement – listing your strengths, your achievements and sharing your career aspirations. This should be a small, bite-size representation of who you are as a professional, and what you have to offer in terms of experience and ambition. Maximum 100 words
Initial interviews may be carried out by telephone, with a follow-up 30-45 min personal interview at their Feltham office, if successful. Interviews to take place around end of November/beginning of December.
A test may need to be completed on the day of the personal interview.
** We advise you to apply early